One of our developers was recently talking about a personal milestone that happened to mark both his 20th year at Art & Logic as well as his son’s 20th birthday. That got me thinking about how much parenting and software actually have in common. For instance…
- It’s never done.
- The requirements are constantly changing.
- You never feel like you’re quite ready to start.
- It can cost way more than you could ever imagine.
- You can do a lot of it from home, but some travel will be necessary.
- You can find an endless supply of books telling you how to do it, but the best way to learn is on-the-job.
- You’ll make mistakes along the way.
- It can be rewarding one minute and equally exasperating the next.
- It can keep you up all night.
- And at some point, you have to do a public release and trust that you got it right.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.